Closing Date: 23-July-2023
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Type: Regular – Fixed term
Salary: As per the organization scale
Reference number: Rec/010/23
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
Business Development: Support Cordaid Ethiopia Country Office with acquisition of resources from a wide range of donors, including EU, various embassies, Development Agencies, UN Agencies, World Bank, multi-lateral organisations, foundations, corporations, and a variety of emerging, non-traditional sources of funding. The Business Development Manager (BDM) will provide overall strategic direction, leadership, and management to ensure portfolio growth. This leadership, management and knowledge will enable Cordaid Ethiopia to deliver high-quality proposals and prepositioning. The BDM will be responsible for network representation, Business Development strategy and fundraising. The Business Development Manager will closely work with Global Office (GO) colleagues, the Institutional Funding and Donor Relations unit (IFDR) among others.
Communications (Added value): Support the Cordaid Ethiopia country office with achieving its visibility objectives through management of the Communications Unit and implementation of Communications strategy.
Business Development: The BDM will support the Office’s positioning for and pursuit of institutional donor resources, with an emphasis on competitive funding mechanisms. S/he will provide business development expertise and leadership in the development of proposals to ensure the highest quality and competitiveness. S/he will contribute to and support internal learning processes that improve Cordaid’ business development practice and leverage innovative.
Business Development & Grant Acquisition
- The BDM will coordinate the process of developing and writing high-quality project proposals;
- Research, track and analyse new business opportunities for Cordaid Ethiopia Country Office;
- Support senior management’s cultivation and strengthening of institutional relationships with donors, partner organisations, and other collaborators in the international relief/development arena; this will be done in collaboration with similar GO based staff hosted by the IFDR unit;
- Lead all proposal development;
- Participate in OTM (opportunity team meetings) and ensure adequate documentation is available prior OTM at GO meeting;
- Work in liaison with the thematic leads, PMEAL team and Global Office Relation manager staff in the Institutional Funding and Donor Relations unit at GO on donor intelligence and community priorities/needs, and positioning of Cordaid for emerging funding opportunities;
- Support and guide the identification of partners for all opportunities;
- Conduct donor mapping, identify potential allies/partners and competitors for funding opportunities in country;
- Contribute to bid management processes with technical writing of the proposal in accordance with donor requirements and National Government Strategic Plan of Ethiopia;
- Lead in the research process during the development of new proposals in coordination with related departments (GO and Country Office (CO) in order to ensure high-quality proposals that meet the requirements of the donors;
- Ensure to follow up and review the entire grant proposal development process, including conceptualisation, performing research, producing compelling content, make revisions and submission;
- Monitor the competitive landscape, assess, and test new approaches, gather lessons learned and update the Office’ funding strategy.
- Develop priority donor account plans in line with the funding strategy and ensure participation of technical and programme teams in donor engagement fora. This is done under the supervision of Country Director.
- Support the process and provide direction in the development of individual donor relations by periodically inviting donors and potential donors to visit Cordaid programme areas to get first- hand information on programme activities and also to explore new opportunities which can be leveraged with the achievements of existing programmes;
- Monitor, research and carry out regular in-country donor strategy analysis and share findings with Programme Managers;
- Document lessons learned and report findings during programme evaluation meetings;
- Submit recommendations and suggestions to ensure that the best practices are adapted;
- Keep overview and manage the organisational pipeline opportunity system and account related database for Ethiopia;
- Attend to other duties as and when directed by the Country Director
Communications (Added value):
- Team Management: Understand and apply principles of group dynamics and stages of team development to enable high performance. Lead goal setting, prioritisation, process, and relationship management;
- Strategy Development: Develop and implement context-driven communications strategy and associated business planning which supports organisational strategy execution;
- Executive Engagement: Contribute to senior and cross-functional teams, with good understanding of how communications relates to organisational strategy and the work of other units, resource acquisition and support functions;
- Performance Management: Define capabilities and assess team and individual performance needed to deliver on communications strategy. Implement solutions to address capability gaps, development opportunities and retention strategies;
- Stakeholder Management: Identify, develop, and influence key stakeholders, manage expectations, and build stakeholder commitment to communications;
- Reputation Management & Brand Assurance: Promote the organisation’s brand and guard the organisation’s reputation in the national context, including crisis mitigation and responses, high- level messaging, and positioning of ambassadors/spokespersons.
Donor/Public Engagement Communications Management:
- Manage the planning and production of compelling and issues-oriented fundraising, advocacy, and publicity materials (web-based, electronic, print and video) for effective donor and public engagement by Cordaid Ethiopia – both in-country and internationally, and in collaboration with other Cordaid Offices if/as appropriate;
- Oversee the consistent and timely offering and production of feature stories and photos in accordance with the Donor Requirements;
- Ensure that stories, photos, and other materials are produced to standards of quality required for informing, educating, and engaging said donors and public via Cordaid Ethiopia’s communications platforms.
Advocacy Communications Management
- Collaborate with advocacy colleagues to define key issues, messaging, and communications channels for public advocacy initiatives;
- Oversee the development of advocacy-oriented communications products including web-based and print materials, videos, posters, briefing papers, reports, stories, social media content/campaigns, and photo essays;
- Support advocacy campaigns by engaging the media to gain exposure and credibility and increase public discussion and fundraising.
Internal Communications Management
- Ensure that key internal communications messages and products of Cordaid Ethiopia are skilfully developed and articulated for meeting their objectives;
- Establish systems and safeguards for the appropriate and effective flows of relevant information to and from Cordaid Ethiopia staff both internally and externally as/when required;
- Consult and network with relevant Cordaid Ethiopia stakeholders as needed and appropriate to ensure that their key information resource needs are being met by Cordaid Ethiopia, in compliance with agreed standards, policies and priorities.
Qualification, skills and experience required
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Business Development or related Social Science.
- Good understanding of donor compliance and reporting mechanisms (in particular Dutch Embassy, DFID, EU, World Bank and USAID) is an advantage.
- 5 -7 years of experience in international development and demonstrate a level of responsibility and accountability.
- Proven experience in organization strategic positioning, fundraising and acquisition of awards
- Successful track record of program development; proven and sustained success in raising restricted funds donors.
- Experience in coordinating and writing high value proposals to prioritized donors, editing office communication products and other professional materials.
- Experience in managing, negotiating and resolving highly complex tasks, awards and award- related issues in an effective manner.
- Excellent in English communication and writing skill.
- Having, digital communications experience working for a non-profit, media outlet, marketing or ad agency preferably in an international development/aid context is advantageous.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain professional donor and stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to meet competing priorities, demanding deadlines and work under pressure.
- Has strong writing, networking, marketing, facilitation, presentation, negotiation, conflict resolution and coordination skills.
- Has strong planning and time management skills, multi-task & adapt to frequent changing priorities.
- Has strong analytical skills and in depth understanding of strategies (ability to link donor priorities and Cordaid strategy)
- Flexibility to travel in and outside the country.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]. The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest to join us. Please visit our website to learn more about our interventions in Ethiopia