Closing Date: 20-October-2023
Employment Type: Regular – Fixed term
Salary: As per the organization scale
Reference number: Rec/014/23
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
Purpose of the position/Job’s aim
The Business Development Service (BDS) and Gender Officer is responsible for the BDS and gender component of the SAFE project implementation in collaboration with other project team members and relevant stakeholders including different government line departments at district, zonal and regional levels and private sector actors.
She/he is the responsible person for the full execution of BDS and gender mainstreaming into the project for all value chain actors involved in all the commodity value chains. She/he will work in close collaboration with project clients, RuSACCO Unions, partner MFIs, field officers and other project stakeholders. Provision of non-financial services and maintaining the gender balance along all the intervention to the targeted communities will be primarily the responsibility of the position holder.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide business development services to all value chain actors of the project selected commodities,
- Ensure equitable participation of women and men at all levels of the project,
- Identifies potential opportunities and entry points for mainstreaming gender into the project,
- Assist in creating linkages among value chain actors including project clients, RuSACCOs, MFIs and other value chain actors in the SAFE project,
- Participate in the actual demonstration of the latest technologies and work on promotion of appropriate technologies,
- Facilitate/attend value chain forums at district and zonal levels,
- Effectively collaborate with project team and other stakeholders for efficient implementation of the project,
- Work on the establishment and strengthening of Business Development Service (BDS) provision system,
- Participate in monitoring and learning of SAFE project.
- Ensure all projects outputs, as listed in the project documents, are effectively achieved,
- Assess and identify potential gender-differentiated impacts of the project,
- Lead and coordinate gender inclusion in the project implementation
- Support the development of business management competency and market orientation of smallholder farmers,
- Work on the periodic work plan of the project in alignment with his/her weekly/monthly work plans within the project budgets,
- Collect sex-disaggregated data for all project interventions that could be used to monitor potential gender impacts,
- Build strategic linkages, networking and collaborations with local stakeholders in implementation as well as ensure project activities are aligned with ongoing government and/or NGO interventions to ensure sustainability and avoid duplication,
- Effectively document all information related to project successes and best practices, create a time series of good quality photos, videos, and most significant change stories of the project partners (beneficiaries) in all project areas,
- Contribute to the quarterly and annual project activity and financial reports and work plans including government reports,
- Attend relevant foras at district, zonal and regional level
- Closely work with Cordaid Gender and Inclusion Specialist,
- Conduct any other duties as may be assigned by the management.
Key result areas
- BDS provision to the targeted communities,
- Mainstream gender into the project implementation,
- Creating effective linkages among different project stakeholders
- Periodical work plan for BDS and gender activities of the project
- Periodical reports (annual/quarter/monthly) for BDS and gender related activities,
- Contribute to the periodic (annual/quarter/monthly) progress update reports of the project including government report,
- Produce success stories and learning report on quarterly basis,
- Ensure and report (gender/sex disaggregated) on non-financial services by the targeted communities as per their need and ensure gender inclusion
Job Requirements Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of Masters’ level education or equivalent in Business Development, economics, agricultural economics, cooperatives development, social science with gender studies or related fields is required
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the NGO and/or public sector,
- Proven track record with over 3 years of demonstrated experience in BDS and gender projects in rural Ethiopia,
- Given the strong training focus of the project, experience in training, but also in development of training and/or communications material is an asset,
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Amharic language is mandatory,
- Experience in working in teams with diverse cultural backgrounds,
- Strong communication and reporting skills and ability in facilitating dialogues among diverse stakeholders,
- Proactive in providing mentorship, guidance and assistance to project clients,
- Self-motivated and ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks in an organized and structured manner,
- Knowledge of gender issues in the Ethiopian agriculture and cooperatives sector,
- Exposure to the project sites and experiences in project management are added value,
- Valid motorcycle driving license
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]. The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest to join us. Please visit our website to learn more about our interventions in Ethiopia