Closing Date: 26-November-2023
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Type: Regular – Fixed term
Salary: As per the organization scale
Reference number: Rec/016/23
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
Purpose of the position/Job’s aim
The PBF Data Officer must have some experience and up-to-date knowledge and skills in M&E, operations research processes, MIS for health systems, and data quality for healthcare provision. S/he must be familiar with the research protocol development, study design, and data quality control processes. S/he must have experience in data collection, data quality control, survey management, data analysis, and report writing.
Duties and responsibilities
Quality and integrity of PBF program data collection
- Monitoring the quality of program data during data collection and encoding into the database
- Verify the quality of PBF subsidy invoices due for payment and ensure that proper feedback is given to field officers
- Support the PBF Data Expert in providing technical support to field officers to ensure data integrity in data collection and standard reporting
- Support the PBF Data Expert in coming up with data quality and management plans for operations research
- Assist the Data Expert and the Principal Investigator (PI) in research protocol development.
- Assist the Data Expert and the PI in the development of materials and tools necessary to appropriately train individuals involved in the conduct of the study
Executing Research plans
- Support the Data Expert in liaising with other research organizations and regulating bodies (for ethical clearance)
- Coordinates the staffing of research studies, including the recruitment and administration of research support staff, as appropriate to the activity
- Train field data collectors on the protocol and research ethics
- Conduct fieldwork supervision of data collectors
- Analyse and troubleshoot PBF data system user issues to implement a resolution or escalate the case to the Data Expert as appropriate
- Scripting surveys in ODK for mobile data collection and the subsequent monitoring of survey data
- Lead the processes for data cleaning with guidance from PBF Data Expert
Data Analysis and Reporting
- With support from the PBF Data Expert, produce analysis in liaison with Project Coordinators and Program Manager for regular (quarterly, annual) and ad hoc program reports.
- Support the Data Expert in statistical analysis of operational research data.
- Support the team in disseminating institutional learning through presentations, reports and publications
- Interpret data and provide recommendations based on findings from the analyzed datasets.
- Support the PBF Data Expert and M&E Specialist in updating the program results in DevResults every quarter
- Update the Dataviz portal every quarter
- Build data quality assurance, data analysis, reporting and research capacity for field office staff, including arranging for their training in writing skills and research ethics
- Provides ongoing training and technical assistance to PBF data system users via email, phone, webcast, and on-site as appropriate
- Facilitate performance review meetings with program staff to enable the teams to understand and use data
- Support the Data Expert in training regulators and end users of PBF Data Systems in PBF Data collection, management and Analysis tools
- Act on tasks as assigned by the senior management or supervisor on programme development or improvement
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge
- University Degree in statistics, economics, computer science, public health, or related discipline
- Five years of work experience, two of which should be in research, analytics or M&E
- Affinity with health data capturing and analysis
- Experience in study design and protocol development.
- Excellent skills in the analysis and interpretation of both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Affinity with data software, including advanced knowledge in MS Excel, Stata and/or R programming.
- Able to assure confidentiality.
- Preparedness to regularly travel to the operational areas
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Good working knowledge of the English language and excellent command of local languages is an added advantage
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and working experience in the Borena Zone is an advantage.
- Effective internal communications – a team player, with the ability to establish a team and to work as a team, adapting to different personalities and situations, maintaining positive working relations.
- Effective external communications – Good networking, representative, diplomatic and social skills, able to communicate and to liaise with the Oromia Regional Health Bureau, the Borena Zonal Health Department, the Borena branch of the Ethiopian Health Insurance Agency, the Woreda Health Offices and facilities involved in the PBF project, and other stakeholders relevant for the PBF-project.
- Proven quantitative and qualitative analytical skills. Ability to analyze and present data in well written reports. Experience in preparing attractive reports, presentations and in facilitating skills.
- Ability to work and succeed under distant supervision and guidance, meeting deadlines.
- Good command (in writing and verbally) of the Amharic and English language.
- Possess good organizational and planning skills.
- Knowledge of the PBF approach will be an added advantage
- Willing to work and to frequently travel long distances in the Borena Zone.
- Able to ride and in the possession of an (Ethiopian) motorbike license.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]. The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest to join us. Please visit our website to learn more about our interventions in Ethiopia