Closing Date: 2-April-23
Employment Type: Regular–Fixed term Salary: As per the organization scale Reference number: Rec/004/23
Aim of the project
Performance Based Financing (PBF) differs from classical health financing which relies on input financing for its activities that are not linked to any results produced by the health facility. In a supply side PBF health system strengthening approach, the financing of the health facility is linked with its performance. PBF creates a strong motivator for actors to perform better, improve health information systems and provide quality services. Currently Ministry of Health jointly with Cordaid Ethiopia is on the process of initiating pilot PBF project in three regions to look into the applicability of the program in Ethiopia.
Purpose of the position
The expert is responsible for the successful implementation of the PBF pilot project at the selected Zone.
Responsibilities and Accountability Coordination, Effective Field Processes
- Facilitate the implementation of the PBF project in the zone, making sure that all systems and procedures are in place and that the project will realize the results aimed for,
- Overall daily organization, financial, & administrative management of the project
Contracts, Work plans and Reviews
- Monitor and ensure timely development of business plan by health facilities and signing of contracts among zonal health department and health facilities, WHOs, and the CBO’s,
- Develop quarterly basis PBF project management work plans and operational budgets,
- Organize quarterly reviews undertaken by the Woreda Health Offices and the Zonal Health Department focusing on the quality improvement component of the PBF-project
Supportive supervision, Mentorship
- Provide facilitative Supervision to all PBF implementing health facilities, and Woreda health office
- In liaison with Zonal HMIS focal person work in the maintenance and use of the PBF-database system linked to DHIS2
Quantity and Quality Assurance and Invoicing
- Regularly analyse the performance of the quantity and quality of the PBF data of all the contracted health facilities and Woreda Health offices, as well as the payments
- Conduct follow-up and report on trends in the data and on any anomalies.
- Investigate on abnormalities of the results of data and report.
- Engage in the periodic review and revision of the quantity Indicator list, the quality assessment tools and the PIM.
- Ensure that the (verified) final invoices for payment of the PBF subsidies submitted are accurate and sent timely to the Regional Health Bureau, so that payments can be made in a timely manner.
- Monitor the progress of the PBF project and identify key challenges and come up with solutions to solve them, this in close consultation with Regional Health Bureau and Ministry of Health
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Health Economics, Medicine, Public Health, Nursing, or any other, similar qualifications in this field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in Ethiopian health system
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in managing a multi-stakeholder health project and a team.
- Ability to lead and manage the multi-stakeholder PBF project, making sure that all PBF actors are playing their required role effectively.
- Knowledge of and experience with the Ethiopian HMIS system and DHIS2.
- Prior working experience with quality improvement in a public health organization is an advantage.
- Good experience with relevant computer software packages like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint is a must
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and working experience at the Zonal level is an advantage.
- Effective communications – a team player, with the ability to establish a team and to work as a team, adapting to different personalities and situations, maintaining positive working relations.
- Proven quantitative and qualitative analytical skills. Ability to analyze and present data in well-written reports. Experience in preparing attractive reports, presentations and in facilitating skills.
- Ability to work and succeed under distant supervision and guidance, meeting deadlines.
- Good command (in writing and verbally) of the local language, Amharic and English language.
- Possess good organizational and planning skills.
- Knowledge of the PBF approach will be an added advantage
- Willing to work and to frequently travel long distances in the assigned Zone
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]. The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.