Closing Date: 21-January-23
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Type: Regular – Fixed term
Salary: As per the organization scale
Reference number: Rec/001/23
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is an internationally operating value-based emergency relief and development organization, working in and on fragility.
Cordaid is a member of the ACT, the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 20 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
Position and responsibility
The Project Controller Cordaid projects is responsible for all aspects of the overall project controllership for Cordaid projects which do not have a dedicated full time project controller. You will be the project controller for numerous projects which are of a diverse nature. Projects will include Humanitarian Aid projects, Resilience and other type of projects. Some projects will be (partially) executed by partners. This is a role for one year role with possibility for an extension.
S/he reports to the project lead and functionally to the Finance and Operation Director. S/he will work closely with colleagues based in the office, the compliance officer, the finance manager and financial officers of partner organizations.
General objective of the posting
The project controller keeps the implementation of projects in focus and assesses the financial management and results. Intervenes in time and appropriately when financial management does not go according to plan. S/he is responsible for the delivery of the financial project objectives, which include but is not limited to ensuring that project expenditure is eligible and spent in line with project objectives, direct overhead costs are recovered, reliable and timely financial monthly reporting is available. S/he
prepares for any (external) audits and ensures all required information is available on time and is prepared to a high standard.
As part of your responsibilities, you will:
- Guide and advise colleagues and partners in such a way that they effectively and efficiently run the project and meet the reporting requirements.
- Work with the Humanitarian Program Manager, the Logistics and Procurement Manager and Global Office experts to establish and implement contractual arrangements with suppliers goods and services to allow humanitarian aid projects to be executed faster, more effective, while maintain good levels of internal control.
- Prepare for and represent the assigned projects in the monthly project control meetings by among others:
- Creating monthly consolidated financial reports for the project which includes monthly reports from the implementing partners
- Maintaining and adjust a high quality rolling project forecast
- Maintaining the procurement planning
- Recording and maintain the projects commitments
- Prepare project cash expenditure forecasts
- Analyse and review the project staff costs, impact of vacancies on project progress and the financial results
- Analyse and review the direct overhead staff and other costs
- Prepare the summary of analysis of key project risk versus actual project results
- Ensure that the project expenditure adheres to the donor’s and Cordaid’s regulations
- Ensure that partner’s report their expenditure on time and get paid eligible cost claims on time
- Ensure that all project expenditure is appropriately documented, archived and ready for any external or internal audit
- Contributing to developing a chapter on Humanitarian Aid projects and projects controls for the Finance and Operations Manual
- Prepare the financial donor reporting
- Assess contract (changes) with donors and (consortium) partners.
- Support partner organisations with project control knowledge and financial expertise as required
- Contribute to partner risk assessments and ensure that agreed actions are implemented
- Clarify the chance on running risks (for instance on ineligibility of costs) and defines potential impact and control measures in discussions with management.
- Maintain the project risk register and translate results into a risk analysis report. Reports on progress of corresponding action and ensures compliance with the contractual agreements.
- Develop financial forecasts in coordination with project lead for presentations to donors and the Senior Management Team.
- Make sure that cost recovery is guaranteed
- Make sure the correct Cordaid tools, data and forms are being used.
- Set-up the cash planning in close cooperation with the finance manager.
- Keeps the cash planning up to date.
- Ensure that the project lead and the finance and operation director are kept informed of any major developments in a timely manner so that issues are anticipated, addressed and do not materialize
- Support the project lead with all financial communication to the donor and internally within Cordaid
Job Requirements Qualifications
Management qualifications and experience
- Master degree in financial management and accounting;
- At least four years’ experience in working as a project controller on significant projects
- Work experience in fragile, stressful settings;
- Experience in controlling numerous projects and partner relationships at the same time
- Strong participatory, inclusive leadership skills
- Demonstrable commitment to transparency and integrity
- Strong organizer of one’s own work (knowing how to prioritize)
- Strong communication skills;
- Be diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player;
- Thorough understanding of financial accounting, risk management and compliance
- In-depth understanding of internal and project controls
- Fluent in Amharic and possibly other Ethiopian languages
- Excellent English writing and communication skills;
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]. The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early as interviews are done on a rolling basis and the advert can be closed when a matching candidate is identified.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest to join us. Please visit our website to learn more about our interventions in Ethiopia