Closing Date: 12-November-22
Location: Jimma, Oromia
Employment Type: Regular – Fixed term
Salary: As per the organization scale
Reference number: Rec/086/22
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
The translator will work under the Cordaid PBF program supporting the mid-term evaluation team with translation of data collection tools, interviews and focus group discussions (FGDs). The position is short term covering only the data collection period.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Translate all data collection tools into local language: Amharic and Oromoo
- Back translation of all tools to the original English version to ensure meaning is not lost during translation
- Translate all interviews and FGDs into English Language
- Ensure the quality and integrity of translations is of high standard;
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- MA Arts (Linguistics) / Social Sciences
- Previous work done on translation
- Ability to operate in English language: reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Ability to operate in local language (Amharic or Afan oromo): reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Translation notes;
- Translated tools;
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected] The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply. All applications submitted cannot be returned.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early as interviews are done on a rolling basis and the advert can be closed when a matching candidate is identified.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.